What Are 12 Step Recovery Programs?
Originally proposed and drafted by Alcoholics Anonymous in the 1930’s, the 12-Step addiction recovery program was originally a set of guidelines outlining a course of action for alcohol dependent individuals who were recovering from their addictions. Today, there are 12-Step programs that are being used in the recovery process for any addictions regardless of whether alcohol or drugs are involved. It addresses behavioral problems and compulsive disorders as well.
12-Step program has been adopted by the organizations listed below into their specific recovery therapies:
- Overeaters Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
- Debtors Anonymous
- Co-Dependents Anonymous
- Cocaine Anonymous
The 12-Step addiction recovery program is summarized as involving the following 6 aspects:
- The individual needs to realize that they need the assistance of a higher power in order to give them the strength they need to recover successfully
- They must commit themselves to helping individuals just like themselves who are suffering with addictions and compulsions
- The individual needs to admit that they are powerless to control their addictions and/or compulsive behavior
- The individual learns a new code of behavior so that they can live a new and healthier lifestyle free from any substance in the process
- The addicted individual must make amends for the errors they committed in the past
- A sponsor will assist the individual in the examination of their past errors
The 12-Step addiction recovery process addresses key issues involving dependency along with addictions, behavioral disorders, and compulsions. There are currently over 200 “fellowships” or self-help organizations with millions of members worldwide who employ the principles of these programs to enhance the individual’s recovery.
Finding the right 12-Step addiction program
Currently, there are over 200 organizations that now offer the 12-Step addiction recovery program, so the decision on selecting the right one can be extremely challenging for the addicted individual who is reaching out for help. The Delray Recovery Center can help you choose the right 12-step program for you as we offer programs targeting all types of addictions. We are well aware of the fact that no two individuals are alike and neither are their specific needs where their addictions are concerned.
Delray’s 12 Step Addiction Recovery Programs Work
We know that alcohol and drug addiction never sleeps and attacks individuals around the clock. Our caring and professional staff members are available to assist you and answer your questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you or a loved one is in need of further information or needs our assistance, please contact us immediately so that we can provide you with a 12-Step addiction recovery program that targets your specific needs.