Recognizing the signs of addiction to methamphetamine drugs is essential to helping a loved one seek appropriate addiction treatment before it is too late.
Signs of Physical Dependence
Meth dependence develops as a result of the changes that take place in a persons brain from taking the drug. Recognizing these changes may help you to identify if a loved one has developed a dependency.
The physical signs of dependence on methamphetamine drugs include:
- Physical tolerance, resulting in taking a higher dose of the drug
- Physical cravings for the drug when it is not taken for a set period of time
- Reduced time periods before the cravings develop
- Signs of physical withdrawal when the drug is not taken
Signs of Psychological Dependence
Addiction has severe effects on an individual’s mental health. Since methamphetamine drugs are very addictive, the physical and psychological dependence will develop rapidly after taking the drug for the first time.
The signs of psychological dependence include:
- Severe insomnia and refusal to sleep, resulting in days or even weeks without sleeping
- Bouts of depression that result in taking more of the drug
- Severe paranoia that gets worse over time
- Hallucinations, even when the drug is not used for a few days
- Fixation on taking the drug
Signs of Meth Use E-Book
Learn about the signs of meth use, addiction and treatment with this free e-book.